• Stadthagen Open or Close

    Stadthagen was founded by Count Adolf of Schaumburg around 1225. And to this very day, the ground plan of the medieval settlement can be seen in the oval outline of the Old Town, which includes the market square and the parish church as well as the Palace and the remains of the rampart walls. For a long time, Stadthagen was the royal seat of Schaumburg, with Bückeburg finally succeeding in 1608. It was not until industrialisation increased significantly in the 19th century that the town took an upward trend, which peaked around 1960. Today the town has about 22,600 inhabitants.

  • St. Martini Church and Mausoleum Open or Close
    Am Kirchhof

    St. Martini Kirche

    The square tower of St. Martini Church with its tapering triangular gables dominates the townscape. First mentioned in 1230, the church played an important role in the history of Schaumburg, for example, in the implementation of the Reformation. The term 'reformation' is of Latin origin and relates to the movement advocating ecclesiastical renewal between 1517 and 1648, which led to a religious schism among Western Christianity and the development of different confessions, i.e. the Roman Catholic, Lutheran and Reformed churches.
    The light-flooded, heptagonal Mausoleum is situated behind the chancel of St. Martini Church. Astounded, the visitor faces the huge tomb of Prince Ernest of Holstein-Schaumburg, which shows the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem with the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The group of figures was created by the famous Flemish sculptor Adriaen de Vries at the beginning of the 17th century. Originally, mausolea belonged to the burial practices of the Middle East, but became popular in Europe in the Early Modern Period.

  • Alte Polizei (Former Police Station) Open or Close
    Obernstraße 29

    The impressive buildung, originally Hotel Bremen, was erected in 1898 in the historicising style of the German Empire, later hosting the employment office and the police. Today it belongs to the town of Stadthagen and serves as a cultural centre for the society called Communication Centre Alte Polizei. In the building you can visit a café  envisaged as a meeting place and community centre. Open on weekdays from 9am until 1pm and 3pm until 10pm.

  • Museum Amtspforte Open or Close
    Obernstr. 32a

    Opposite the Alte Polizei is the Amtspforte, a half-timbered house built in 1553. After serving as an administrative building, court house, and prison, it became the local museum in 1963  with exhibitions on town and regional history. The museum is free of charge. Open from Monday to Friday from 10am until 12pm and 3pm until 5pm, on Sundays and bank holidays from 3pm until 5pm.

  • Palace and Palace Gardens Open or Close
    Hinter der Burg 3, Habichhorster Straße

    The Palace, built between 1534 and 1544, belongs to the early palaces of the Renaissance along the river Weser and the adjoining area. Until 1607 the palace was the residence of the  counts of Schaumburg, then becoming the seat of the dowagers and heirs to the throne up to 1918. Today the palace is the seat of the tax office in Stadthagen. Opposite the building, on the other side of Habichhorster Straße, are the picturesque palace and municipal gardens with ponds and fountains.

  • Aksa Camii Mosque Open or Close
    Enzer Str. 96

    The mosque is the religious and cultural centre of the Turkish-Islamic Community in Stadthagen. For many years Aksa Camii has had an Open Day early in October, thus offering  visitors and participants a platform for cross-cultural encounters and exchange. The mosque is open daily during Muslim prayer time. Guided tours can be arranged by telephone 05721/71814 or 0172/1755743 (mobile).    

  • Bruchhof Open or Close
    Bruchhof 3-5

    Bruchhof is one of the oldest dwelling places in the Stadthagen area and was mentioned for the first time in an official document in the year 1115. At first it belonged to a nobleman called Mirabilis, later to the princes of Schaumburg-Lippe. At present parts of the moat, a beautiful half-timbered house and a number of outbuildings are the remnants of what used to be a fortified  farmyard complex. Nowadays the estate serves as a home and place of work for people who are mentally ill. Recently the operators - together with some refugees - have built a wooden stage on which plays and concerts can be rehearsed and prepared. Moreover, there is a café.