Bückeburg Open or Close
The historical roots of Bückeburg date back to a moated castle built by Count Adolf VI. early in the 14th century. But it was Prince Ernst to whom Bückeburg owes its being developed as a royal seat at the beginning of the 17th century, thus leaving his indelible mark on the town. The Thirty Years' War (1618 to 1648), however, affected the town to such an extent that it did not recover before the 18th century, particularly with regard to culture. Today the town has about 19,000 inhabitants.
Palace Open or Close
It was Count Otto IV. of Schaumburg, who converted the old moated castle into a magnificent palace as of 1560. Today stylistic elements of the late Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, and Historicism can be found in the palace building. Especially the Great Hall is very interesting. At present the Palace is the seat of the Princes of Schaumburg-Lippe. There are guided tours of the Palace daily between 12pm and 5pm. Adults pay an entrance fee of 8.50 €, children from 6 up to 16 years 5.00 €. Instead of going on a guided tour, you can visit the Palace Gardens and have a look at the buildings from the outside, which is also worthwhile.
Town Hall Open or Close
The Town Hall was re-erected in 1905/06 in Neo-Renaissance style. At the time the building complied with the citizens' desire for representation and their need for prestige, which is vividly expressed by the larger-than-life bronze figure of an urban herald. Today, fringed by a beautiful market square, the Town Hall is the seat of the mayor and the centre of local affairs and politics.
Museum Bückeburg Open or Close
Lange Straße 22
The half-timbered building with its abundant woodcarving belongs to the oldest houses of the town. There is a big open fireplace in the entrance hall and an old vaulted cellar. Since 1905 the Museum of Bückeburg, which focuses on city and state history, especially the history of Schaumburg-Lippe, has been housed here. Not only exhibits from city and state history can be seen, but also prehistoric and early-historical finds as well as traditional folk costumes of Schaumburg. The museum is open from Wednesday to Sunday between 1pm and 5pm. No fees are charged.
Kuba Mosque Open or Close
Since 2003 the Kuba Camisi Mosque has been the religious and cultural centre of the Turkish-Islamic Community in Bückeburg. In 2009 the converted building was inaugurated. The Muslim community takes an active part in the cultural life of the town, for example, with its 'Lese-Uni', where children read and write, and with its invitations (Davetiye) to non-Muslims. The mosque is open daily during Muslim prayer time. Guided tours can be arranged by telephone 0177/3496785 or 0152/24435050 (mobile).
Lutheran-Protestant City Church Open or Close
The magnificent city church was built between 1610 and 1615 under Prince Ernst of Holstein-Schaumburg. Inside the church, you can see important works of art, for example, the baptismal font by Adriaen de Vries from 1615 and the richly painted and carved pulpit. The most famous preacher of the church was Johann Gottfried Herder.